Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Modified Hospice Bereavement Program

I have this paper posted on my cork board. A counselor at Kaiser gave it to me a year ago and it has moved from my cluttered fridge to my own space, where I can look at it daily and be reminded that I need to include myself in my list of things that I need to take care of.  I made little notes to myself so I included them and modified the list just a tad.

                                        TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF

*Build Relaxation Into Your Day*
I just realized today how calm I am when I am making something or listening to some "60s soul explosion on Songza. I am still learning how to relax, but I am finding I like it tons more than being on edge. Listening to some good jams+making dinner= a happy Rachel and really,really happy Seth

*Simplify Your Life*
Eliminate tasks that can wait and avoid perfectionism. The world won't end if Edyth's princess figurines are mixed in with the legos or the movies are not alphabetized. It is not necessary to reorganize other people's stuff so leave it alone.

*Exercise*
Go to the gym and take some time to yourself. Make it to the classes that are fun, Power Sculpt and Pilates..maybe try Zumba sometime. If the gym is not possible then use the step you bought yourself for your birthday or break out the WII Fit because you love it!

*Meditate or Pray*
*Walk Away From Stressors*
*Dress For Success*
Give away clothes that make you feel uncomfortable in. Take the time to put on a little makeup or shave your legs-it does make a difference.

*Make Difficult Tasks as Tolerable as Possible*
*Limit Opportunities for Family Conflict*
Recognize that this is a difficult time for everyone and give each other space and support. This one has been difficult for me because I have a hard time dealing with and even avoiding my family. I have spent time with them but I realize I can't put myself in the same position I have been in my whole life. I can't change them. I am trying to love them where there are at and focus on my husband and children.

*Schedule at Least One Enjoyable Activity into Each Day*
I love coming on here to post, it has become my release and it is really making a difference in my life.

*Don't Set Yourself Up for a Bad Time*
It is ok to say no to a family get together. Just remember that when Seth and the kids do go, you will be the one missing out. Focus on the time you are spending with them and that will make it easier for you to be around people you are not too fond of.




No comments:

Post a Comment