Wednesday, September 26, 2012

52 Weeks at the Beach

When Eddie was sick he got me to take him to the beach a few times. It was more than I have ever been to the beach across a short amount of time. The beach is amazingly beautiful, calming, and peaceful. It makes you feel alive. Maybe that is why Eddie loved it so much. He could not even see the beach since he was blind but he could feel it and hear it and breath it. The beach and ocean is powerful even with out the sense of sight.

I live 10 minutes from La Jolla Shores, just 10 minutes.

After my son's first day of 2nd Grade I knew he needed to get outside and decompress. My car started heading to the beach even though it was already 6:45pm and we had not even had dinner yet.

He ran in the waves as the sun set, dousing his brand new school outfit in salt water and wet sand. My 2 year old was with us too riding in a carrier on my back. He was laughing and yelling "Oh Jonny!" as he watched Jonathan run free in the water.



I was smiling and taking lots of deep breath of the fresh sea air. I was decompressing too.

All 3 of us slept like logs that night.

In a earlier post I said I made a promise to myself to go to the beach more often. Well 3 weeks ago I made a commitment to go there once a week for a whole year. So far so good. We will be heading there tomorrow night to get our beach time in for this week.

Rachel I think you should join me sometime with your kids! Eddie wants you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment