Wednesday, September 5, 2012

While I am on here

We went over to Seth's grandma's house for his grandpa's birthday dinner. Seth's aunt has two girls, one is six turning seven next week. I was talking with his grandpa's sisters and his other aunt, but when Edyth woke up from her nap and wanted to go swimming I was hanging out by the kids. I am glad that I did because I was able to hear a very interesting conversation.

Seth's cousin was asking Max if he believed in God. Max replied with a yes. She said, " I don't believe in God."She asked him what God does. Max told her that God watches over everyone and he takes care of the people that are sick and dying. Her response was, "Oh,haha, look at me I am God and I sit in the clouds in my underwear." Max just looked at her curiously. The look on his face made me giggle. I had no idea what he was thinking, but I knew it was probably the same thing I was. What???

I could have easily missed this exchange.  I was conflicted. What do I do? What do I say? I told her dad what she told Max and he said he would talk to her about it, but I doubt he did. I still am processing how it makes me feel. I am slighly offended but at the same time it makes me wonder what they are teaching her. It made me extremely proud of Max. Even though she was making fun and trying to get Max do the same, he did not. 

On the ride home I told Seth and he asked Max about it. Max told us that he thinks God is up in the clouds and he has a long,white beard in one of those white flowy dresses that men wore a long time ago. We both told him how proud we were that he had his own opinion and that he didn't change it because it was not the same as hers.

 I had never thought to ask Max about God. I don't attend church and we don't always say our prayers but we did talk about Eddie going to heaven. I always tell the kids that God keeps them safe. If they are ever scared, all they need to do is to say a prayer or ask Eddie to help them. 

I am glad that Max has faith in God and however he thinks He works is ok with me. I am still trying to understand it all myself. I don't have to get upset when other people think differently than me. I need to be strong in my faith and believe what I do without wavering. Of all the people to teach me somthing so simple and yet so profound, I am glad it is my own son. At seven years old, he has so much wisdom and insight. God really did bless me with an incredible family.

No comments:

Post a Comment