Monday, July 16, 2012

Eddie's Best Friend

My dad was a Youth Minister for most of our lives.  He always had us involved in his programs as soon as we were old enough to participate.  There were the religious education classes and drop in nights for junior high and senior high students.Every year there were retreats put together by members of the youth group that had already been confirmed.

I have to be honest and admit that it all is a blur, but I do remember the feelings of excitement every time I would get to camp. The outline was basic, but the thing that made each retreat different was people who were involved. The "team" of people who put the whole experience together and "participants" who either came willingly or were forced by their parents. That made each and every retreat unique and special. You could either come home completely inspired or grateful that you at least had Sunday evening left to do something before school started again Monday.

I remember when Eddie went on his first retreat and the team leader who picked him for her small group was Jenn, she saw Eddie as special and not as a challenge. That retreat brought them very close together and I know Jenn meant the world to Eddie.There has always been something special about the friendship between Eddie and Jenn and it only became stronger after Eddie's Confirmation. Jenn was his sponsor.

Jenn would pick Eddie up and take him out to lunch. She would take him to the beach so he could listen to the waves. They would sit in her car and talk for hours. She really was Eddie's best buddy. Eddie danced at her wedding and enjoyed every minute of music that played.When my dad retired from the church, it made it more difficult to see Jenn on a weekly basis.

When Eddie got sick, Jenn was there for him again with coconut water and trips to the beach.  She pretty much dropped her life and rushed to be there for Eddie.  She created coconut popsicles to keep him hydrated and filled endless cups of ice in an effort to quench his thirst. She helped get him the things he wanted most, a pair of sweatpants and a clean shirt. She listened to him. She texted me that day before he died, convincing me that it was very important that i get over to see him.

I know that Jenn feels like she was lucky to have Eddie in her life and not the other way around. I know she struggles daily with the loss of Eddie and the realization that she will have no more adventures with him.  The thing is, I feel like Eddie is always with her. On her trips to the county fair, in her conversations with her children, and in the new challenges she will face in her life. Now, Eddie can look out for her and her family the way she looked out for Eddie and our family.

Mister Roger's has a book of inspiring quotes and I think this one fits today:

"The purpose of life is to listen to yourself,to your neighbor,to your world,to God,and,when the time comes,to respond in as helpful a way as you can find...from within and without."
So, thank you Jenn for being there and listening. I know you were able to hear what Eddie wanted to say and he was able to go peacefully, with a pair of sweats on.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears of love and pain to my eyes.
    Thank you Rachel, you are too sweet.
    I was lucky to have Eddie and he was lucky to have me.
    He will be with my always but I will miss him deeply forever.

    ReplyDelete