Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I slept through today

and thought it would make me feel better, but I still feel the same. It really has been a crazy few months and I still have not done anything cool with my kids. I am pretty sure that my son goes back to school sometime in August and all he is going to be able to share is that his uncle died. I really needed to have a vacation with my family this summer, but unfortunately it seems like we are all doing is surviving.

I have taken the kids swimming a handful of times at my in-laws, even though I could have been there every day. I have passes to almost everything here, but i don't have the drive to take them.  I can't figure out why I feel so unmotivated.  Today is Tuesday, so that means it has been another week since Eddie passed away.

I think I just feel bad about having a good time. When the kids are awimming, all I can think about is Eddie.  He loved going swimming. Once he had swimming lessons and did not need the orange floaties, he loved going swimming. I regret not taking him more often.

When my husband and I were first together, my family checked into a hotel for a holiday weekend and that was our vacation. I know he thought it was weird, but that was all we could afford and it was the norm for us. We went swimming until the pool closed, and my dad played guitar for us to sing along to "La Bamba" and a few other favorites of Eddie. Eddie talked about it for the entire year.

Another year, we were able to join my family on a trip to Knott's and Disneyland. We drove up and met them at the hotel and when we finally got there, we found out Eddie had spent the entire day in the pool. Anytime we were able to go on vacation, Eddie made sure multiple times that the hotel we chose had a pool. I think swimmming was his favorite activity.

In April, my parents were able to get a hotel in old town for the weekend.  Eddie had made the request multiple times and it finally worked out in his favor. I remember him telling me that he was going to a  hotel and was going to go swimming. Unfortunately,when they checked in, the hotel was remodeling their pool and Eddie did not get to go swimming.  We went down to dye eggs with him, but he was to tired to do anything but rest. I think a big part of his resting was a way for him to deal with the disappointment of the pool.

There are many things that I wished I would have done with Eddie before he died. I know if he had been in slighty better health, my husband would have helped me take him to the moon if I wanted to go there with him. I was there when I could be. I did what I thought would help. Right now, I could beat myself up for not doing more and that's exactly what I have been doing.

2 comments:

  1. I know we should not think this way Rachel but I do it too. Some days all I can think about is how I wish I could have done more for and with Eddie before he was gone.
    It should make us realize that we need to do things with the ones we love and have right now but I think the fact that it is Eddie makes things so different and so much harder.
    Now that Eddie is really gone all I can think about is how he is the best person I have ever met and then I hate myself for not spending more time with him.
    I just can't help it, it makes me feel like an idiot for letting that happen.
    Everyone always says "you did the best you could". But even if that is true it sure as hell does not feel like it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Goose! Still learning how to turn on the computer. I am in a world of electronic genius and I am so lost! Kinda like the feeling that we all have about Eddie not being in the present. I miss his presence. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about going to get him dressed or cooking and excluding onions from the meal because Eddie doesn't like them!
      Eddie wasn't the person to judge. He didn't look down on others because they didn't spend alot of time with him. Rather, he cherished the moments you did spend with him and is so grateful for you being there.
      It will be hard come September when Ghost Hunters comes back on. He was my "buddy" and would always take the trek upstairs to watch it with me. Hallowwen will be hard because he loved going trick or treating with the kids. I will miss him at Christmas. He would get so excited to open a present! You could wrap up a can of beans and he would be so grateful.
      What I am getting at is that Eddie loved life! Every day was an adventure and he seemed to know he didn't have time on this earth as others did. He suffered much with his handicap's but he always had a smile on his face. He conquered pain and suffering and taught us all how to live.
      Thank you for being such a good sister to him. We all can blame ourselves for not doing more. I think that is just human nature. It is not Eddies nature! You cannot punish yourself for not doing more. In Eddies eyes, you did enough and he is content and loves his big sister Rachel. Learn to celebrate that fact and do domething special for your dad today! He deserves that.

      Delete